In partnership with 11 organizations, we are excited to announce that LENA Start will be expanding to 16 metro areas nationwide in fall 2017! LENA Start features parent classes in English and Spanish that employ LENA “talk pedometer” technology to measure how much parents are talking with their children, and how much children are responding.
New in 2017 (dark green)
- Longmont, Colo. – St. Vrain Valley School District/OUR Center
- Aurora, Colo. – New Legacy Charter School
- Kansas City, Mo. – Turn the Page KC
- Memphis, Tenn. – Seeding Success
- Pensacola, Fla. – Studer Community Institute
- Detroit, Mich. – Black Family Development, Inc.
- Cherokee County, South Carolina – Talk to Me Cherokee
- Guilford County, North Carolina – Ready for School, Ready for Life
- Virginia Beach, Va. – Virginia Beach GrowSmart / Department of Economic Development
- Philadelphia, Pa. – Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Springfield, Mass. – Springfield City Library
Launched in 2015 & 2016 (lighter green)
- San Mateo County, Calif. – San Mateo County Libraries
- Houston, Texas – Texas Children’s Hospital
- Ames, Iowa – Ames Public Library
- Minneapolis, Minn. – University of Minnesota
- Huntsville, Ala. – Huntsville City Schools
LENA Start classes help parents and caregivers of infants and toddlers (0-30 months) close the “talk gap.” Research indicates that academic achievement gaps result because some children experience millions fewer words and conversations than their peers during the critical early years when babies’ brains are growing to 80 percent of their adult size. LENA Start provides a series of efficient, engaging parent sessions where caregivers learn to use data about their home language environment from LENA technology, along with simple strategies to increase interactive talk with their children.
Since its introduction in 2015, LENA Start has been implemented by school districts, hospitals, library systems, and other social service organizations. Results from initial implementations show an 83% graduation rate, with improvements in four key areas:
- 75 percent of adult caregivers are speaking more to their babies
- 63 percent of families are having more conversations with their babies
- Families reported reading 57 percent more with their babies than before
- Children’s language scores are growing twice as fast as comparison groups.
Partnering with LENA can move the needle on the achievement gap in your community. Learn more by contacting us at 866-503-9918 or by visiting Contact Us